Apple 12-inch MacBook 1.2GHz Dual-Core Intel Core m5 - 512GB (Early 2016)
Light. Years ahead.
Our goal with MacBook was to do the impossible: engineer a full‑size experience into the lightest and most compact Mac notebook ever. That meant reimagining every element to make it not only lighter and thinner but also better. The result is more than just a new notebook. It’s the future of the notebook. And now, with sixth‑generation Intel processors, improved graphics performance, faster flash storage, and up to 10 hours of battery life,* MacBook is even more capable.
A Retina display that takes everything to the edge.
The moment you open your MacBook, its gorgeous 12-inch Retina display with edge-to-edge glass brings everything into focus. Every photo leaps off the screen in rich, vibrant detail. Over 3 million pixels render each letter with crystal clarity. And it all comes to light on the thinnest Retina display ever on a Mac, meticulously honed to deliver a bold visual experience within an impossibly minimal design.
A full-size keyboard.
In a fraction of the space.
We believe that a comfortable, full-size keyboard is essential for a great notebook experience. But to fit one into the elegantly thin MacBook, we had to completely rethink how a keyboard is engineered and constructed. We redesigned each key and its underlying mechanism — not only making the whole keyboard much thinner, but also allowing for more comfortable, precise, and responsive typing that just feels right.
The trackpad, pushed even further with Force Touch.
MacBook comes with a different way to experience a trackpad. The Force Touch trackpad is engineered to deliver a responsive, uniform click no matter where you press the surface. And underneath, force sensors detect how much pressure you’re applying. You can now use a Force click to enable useful capabilities, like quickly looking up the definition of a word or previewing a file just by clicking and continuing to press the trackpad. You’ll also experience haptic feedback — a tactile vibration from the trackpad that adds the sense of touch to what you see on the screen. These advanced capabilities work in addition to all the intuitive Multi-Touch gestures Mac users love. You’ll be more in touch with your Mac than ever before. Without lifting a finger.
Fully equipped for a wireless world.
MacBook is designed to fit effortlessly into our increasingly wireless world. Just about anything you do with a notebook can now be done over the air, thanks to Apple software that takes full advantage of the latest Wi-Fi and Bluetooth wireless technology. So no matter where you are, you can connect to the web, transfer files, organize your photos, listen to music, and more — without being tied down.
As long as we were including a port for charging your MacBook, we wanted to make sure it was the most advanced and versatile one available. The USB-C port puts just about everything you need in a port all in one place. This amazing port provides charging, speedy USB 3 data transfer, and video output in a reversible design that’s one-third the size of a USB 3 port, giving you the flexibility to easily connect your favorite devices.
The capability to connect to everything you need.
We gave a lot of consideration to the way MacBook connects to peripherals and power. We chose USB-C for its compact design and versatility. This single port lets you connect your charger; HDMI, DisplayPort, and VGA displays; USB devices like external drives; and your iPhone or iPad. All of which goes to show that sometimes less really is more.
A range of accessories lets you connect virtually any device to your MacBook. For instance, the USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter lets you connect your MacBook to an HDMI display, as well as a standard USB device and a USB-C charging cable.
MacBook has been engineered from the ground up for silent, efficient performance. It includes sixth-generation Intel Core M processors that run on just 5 watts of power, made even more efficient by optimizations throughout OS X. Together the processor and OS X sip so little energy that the system generates very little heat, so no fan is required to cool the computer. That means when your MacBook is working, you won’t hear a thing. And the logic board on which the processor sits has been painstakingly engineered to pack all the capability you expect in a Mac into as little space as possible.
MacBook features sixth-generation Intel Core m3, m5, and m7 processors with speeds of up to 1.3GHz and up to 25 percent faster graphics. It also comes with faster 1866MHz memory. So your MacBook is quicker and more responsive.
All-day battery life.
Now even longer.
With the slim MacBook enclosure, all-day battery life simply would not be achievable using traditional rectangular batteries. So we developed our own battery technology specifically designed to make use of every last millimeter of available space. The result is a terraced, contoured battery design that not only fits perfectly inside the incredibly slim MacBook, but also is unlike anything seen before in a notebook. And now, thanks to more efficient processors and improved battery chemistry, battery life has been extended by an hour.
OS X is the operating system that powers everything you do on a Mac. With OS X El Capitan, it’s simple to do amazing things and delightful to do all the everyday things. And it works seamlessly with your apps and iOS devices.
Every Mac comes with apps for creativity and apps for productivity. It also comes with a collection of great apps for things you do every day, like surﬁng the web, sending mail and messages, and organizing your calendar. It even comes with an app for finding new apps. Your Mac is more than full‑featured, it’s fully loaded.
- Early 2016
- Rose Gold
- Space Gray
- 12-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display with IPS technology
- 2304-by-1440 resolution at 226 pixels per inch with support for millions of colors
- 16:10 aspect ratio
- Supported scaled resolutions:
- 1440 by 900
- 1280 by 800
- 1024 by 640
- 1.2GHz dual-core Intel Core m5 processor (Turbo Boost up to 2.7GHz) with 4MB L3 cache
- Configurable to 1.3GHz dual-core Intel Core m7 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz) with 4MB L3 cache.
- 8GB of 1866MHz LPDDR3 onboard memory
- 512GB PCIe-based onboard flash storage1
Size and Weight
- Height: 0.14–0.52 inch (0.35–1.31 cm)
- Width: 11.04 inches (28.05 cm)
- Depth: 7.74 inches (19.65 cm)
- Weight: 2.03 pounds (0.92 kg)2
Graphics and Video Support
- Intel HD Graphics 515
- Dual display and video mirroring: simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 3840 by 2160 pixels at 30Hz on an external display, both at millions of colors
- 802.11ac Wi-Fi wireless networking; IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n compatible
- Bluetooth 4.0 wireless technology
Charging and Expansion
USB-C port with support for:
- USB 3.1 Gen 1 (up to 5 Gbps)
- Native DisplayPort 1.2 video output
- VGA output using USB-C VGA Multiport Adapter (sold separately)
- HDMI video output using USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter (sold separately)
- 480p FaceTime camera
- Stereo speakers
- Dual microphones
- 3.5 mm headphone jack
- Support for Apple iPhone headset with remote and microphone
Keyboard and Trackpad
- Full-size keyboard with 78 (U.S.) or 79 (ISO) individual LED backlit keys, including 12 function keys and 4 arrow keys with ambient light sensor
- Force Touch trackpad for precise cursor control and pressure-sensing capabilities; enables Force clicks, accelerators, pressure-sensitive drawing, and Multi-Touch gestures
Battery and Power
- Up to 10 hours wireless web3
- Up to 11 hours iTunes movie playback3
- Up to 30 days of standby time3
- Built-in 41.4-watt-hour lithium-polymer battery
- 29W USB-C Power Adapter; USB-C power port
Electrical and Operating Requirements
- Line voltage: 100V–240V AC
- Frequency: 50Hz to 60Hzv
- Operating temperature: 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C)
- Storage temperature: -13° to 113° F (-25° to 45° C)
- Relative humidity: 0% to 90% noncondensing
- Operating altitude: tested up to 10,000 feet
- Maximum storage altitude: 15,000 feet
- Maximum shipping altitude: 35,000 feet
OS X El Capitan
Engineered to take full advantage of your Mac hardware, OS X El Capitan is designed to be as easy to use as it is beautiful to look at. It comes with an amazing collection of apps you’ll use — and love — every day. And it enables your Mac and iOS devices to work wonderfully together.
- App Store
Limited Warranty and Service
Your MacBook comes with 90 days of free telephone support and a one-year limited warranty. Purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan to extend your service and support to three years from your computer’s purchase date. Only the AppleCare Protection Plan provides you with direct telephone support from Apple technical experts and the assurance that repairs will be handled by Apple-authorized technicians using genuine Apple parts. For more information, visit Apple Support or call 800-823-2775.
In the Box
- 29W USB-C Power Adapter
- USB-C Charge Cable (2 m)
1. 1GB = 1 billion bytes; actual formatted capacity less.
2. Weight varies by configuration and manufacturing process.
3. Testing conducted by Apple in March 2016 using preproduction 1.2GHz dual-core Intel Core m5-based 12-inch MacBook systems with 512GB of flash storage (wireless web test and HD movie playback test) as well as preproduction 1.2GHz dual-core Intel Core m5-based 12-inch MacBook systems with 512GB of flash storage and 1.1GHz Intel Core m3-based 12-inch MacBook systems with 256GB of flash storage (standby test), all configured with 8GB of RAM. The wireless web test measures battery life by wirelessly browsing 25 popular websites with display brightness set to 12 clicks from bottom or 75%. The iTunes movie playback test measures battery life by playing back HD 1080p content with display brightness set to 12 clicks from bottom or 75%. The standby test measures battery life by allowing a system, connected to a wireless network and signed in to an iCloud account, to enter standby mode with Safari and Mail applications launched and all system settings left at default. Battery life varies by use and configuration. See www.apple.com/batteries for more information.
4.Pages, Numbers, and Keynote are free on the Mac App Store for qualifying Mac computers purchased on or after October 1, 2013. OS X El Capitan required. Downloading apps requires an Apple ID.