Apple iPad mini 5 Wi-Fi + Cellular 256GB
Mini just got mightier.
iPad mini is beloved for its size and capability. And now there are even more reasons to love it. The A12 Bionic chip with Neural Engine. A 7.9‑inch Retina display with True Tone. And Apple Pencil, so you can capture your biggest ideas wherever they come to you. It’s still iPad mini. There’s just more of it than ever.
Compact. Portable. Pocketable.
iPad mini features a thin, light, and portable design that makes it the perfect on-the-go companion. At less than a pound and 6.1 mm thin, it’s easy to carry with you in one hand or take out of a pocket or bag whenever inspiration strikes.
Stay connected with fast Wi‑Fi and Gigabit‑class LTE whenever you need it.1
Up to 10 hours of battery life means you can go all day on a single charge.2
Power beyond its size.
The A12 Bionic chip with Neural Engine enables a remarkable level of power and intelligence. It uses real-time machine learning to recognize patterns, make predictions, and learn from experience. With all this power, you can run apps like Adobe Photoshop CC*, experience augmented reality, or play an immersive game with console-level graphics.
It's not the size of the display. It’s the quality of the pixel.
iPad mini packs over 3 million pixels into a 7.9‑inch display. And we made them all count. Whether you’re reading in the park or editing a video in your home office, the high brightness, wide color, and antireflective coating offer true-to-life-detail and razor-sharp text. And True Tone dynamically adjusts white balance so images look natural in any light.
Stay in touch. Shoot in HD. Play in AR.
The front and back cameras in iPad mini let you take vivid photos and cinematic videos. But the fun doesn’t stop there. Make FaceTime calls with friends, scan documents and mark them up, or even use augmented reality to plan out your living room decor.
Pencil meets mini. Magic happens.
Apple Pencil opens up new possibilities for iPad mini.3 Together they turn iPad mini into your take-anywhere digital notebook. Jot down notes, sign documents, and fill out forms. Or capture your most creative ideas by drawing, painting, or sketching on the go.
Designed to help you get the most out of iPad.
iOS on iPad mini gives you the full iPad experience in the most compact iPad. Use multiple apps at once, launch your favorite apps from the Dock, and drag and drop files using simple Multi‑Touch gestures. And you can access your files all in one place with the Files app.
Over a million ways to use iPad mini.
iPad mini comes with powerful Apple-designed apps, like Photos, Maps, Messages, News, Mail and Safari. And with over a million iPad apps on the App Store, there’s an app for anything you want to do. Edit a video, check your social media, sketch an idea, and join a battle royale with friends.
The best place for all your photos, files and more.
iCloud keeps things like your photos, files, and notes safe, current, and conveniently available on all your devices.4 And the Files app lets you manage all your files — in iCloud Drive and on your iPad mini — in one central location.
Privacy and Security
Your data belongs to you. And only you.
Like every Apple product, iPad mini was designed with your privacy and security in mind. Touch ID makes unlocking your iPad mini simple and secure. And you can make purchases conveniently and safely with Apple Pay. Just place your finger on the Touch ID sensor and you’re good to go.
Designed to empower everyone.
We believe technology is most powerful when everyone can use it. That’s why iPad mini comes with accessibility features that support vision, interaction, hearing, and learning needs. Like VoiceOver, which tells you what’s happening on your screen, and Switch Control, which lets you interact with iPad mini without touching it.
1. Data plan required. Gigabit-class LTE is available in select markets and through select carriers. Speeds are based on theoretical throughput and vary based on site conditions and carrier. For details on LTE support, contact your carrier and see www.apple.com/ipad/LTE.
2. Battery life varies by use and configuration.
3. iPad mini is compatible with Apple Pencil (1st generation), sold separately.
4. iCloud requires an iCloud-enabled device. Some features require iOS 12 and macOS Mojave. Some features require a Wi-Fi connection. Some features are not available in all countries or regions. Access to some services is limited to 10 devices.
Some features may not be available for all countries or all areas. View complete list.
Size and Weight2
- Width: 5.3 inches(134.8 mm)
- Height: 8.0 inches(203.2 mm)
- Depth: 0.24 inch(6.1 mm)
- Weight: 0.68 pound (308.2 grams)
Buttons and Connectors
- Built-in stereo speakers
- 3.5 mm headphone jack
- Home/Touch ID sensor
- On/Off, Sleep/Wake
- Lightning connector
- Nano-SIM tray (cellular models)
- Volume up/down
- Dual microphones
- Retina display
- 7.9-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit Multi-Touch display
- 2048-by-1536 resolution at 326 pixels per inch (ppi)
- Wide color display (P3)
- True Tone display
- Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating
- Fully laminated display
- Antireflective coating
- 1.8% reflectivity
- 500 nits brightness
- Supports Apple Pencil
- A12 Bionic chip with 64‑bit architecture
- Neural Engine
- Embedded M12 coprocessor
- 8-megapixel camera
- ƒ/2.4 aperture
- Five-element lens
- Hybrid IR filter
- Backside illumination
- Live Photos
- Panorama (up to 43 megapixels)
- HDR for photos
- Exposure control
- Burst mode
- Tap to focus
- Timer mode
- Auto image stabilization
- Photo geotagging
- 1080p HD video recording
- Slo‑mo (120 fps)
- Time‑lapse video with stabilization
- Video image stabilization
- 3x video zoom
- Video geotagging
FaceTime HD Camera
- 7-megapixel photos
- ƒ/2.2 aperture
- 1080p HD video recording at 30 fps
- Retina Flash
- Wide color capture for photos and Live Photos
- Auto HDR for photos and videos
- Backside illumination
- Burst mode
- Exposure control
- Timer mode
Video Calling3- FaceTime video
- iPad to any FaceTime-enabled device over Wi‑Fi or cellular
- FaceTime audio
- Stereo speakers
- Dual microphones for calls, video recording, and audio recording
- Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n/ac); simultaneous dual band (2.4GHz and 5GHz); HT80 with MIMO
- Bluetooth 5.0 technology
- UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850,
00, 1800, 1900 MHz)
- Gigabit-class LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 11, 12, 13, 14, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 25, 26, 29, 30, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 46, 66, 71)4
- Data only5
- Wi-Fi calling4
- Nano‑SIM (supports Apple SIM6)
- Digital compass
- Assisted GPS, GLONASS
Ambient light sensor
Secure personal data within apps
Make purchases from the iTunes Store, the App Store, and Apple Books
- Pay with your iPad using Touch ID within apps and on the web
- Send and receive money in Messages
- Use your voice to send messages, set reminders, and more
- Use your iPad hands-free
- Listen and identify songs
Power and Battery8
- Built-in 19.1-watt-hour rechargeable lithium-polymer battery
- Up to 10 hours of surﬁng the web on Wi‑Fi, watching video, or listening to music
- Charging via power adapter or USB to computer system
- Up to 9 hours of surﬁng the web using cellular data network
- iOS 12
iOS is the world’s most personal and secure mobile operating system, packed with powerful features that help you get the most out of every day.
Accessibility features help people with disabilities get the most out of their new iPad mini. With built-in support for vision, hearing, physical and motor skills, and learning and literacy, you can create and do amazing things.
- Siri and Dictation
- Switch Control
- Closed Captions
- Speak Screen
- iTunes Store
- App Store
- Voice Memos
- Photo Booth
- Find My iPhone
- Find My Friends
Free Apps from Apple
Pages, Numbers, Keynote, iMovie, GarageBand, iTunes U, Clips, and Apple Store app are preinstalled on iPad.
- iTunes U
- Apple Store
- Music Memos
- Swift Playgrounds
- Apple ID (required for some features)
- Internet access9
- Syncing with iTunes on a Mac or PC requires:
- Mac: OS X 10.11.6 or later
- PC: Windows 7 or later
- iTunes 12.8 or later on Mac and iTunes 12.9 or later on PC
- Language support
English (Australia, UK, U.S.), Chinese (Simplified, Traditional, Traditional Hong Kong), French (Canada, France), German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Spanish (Latin America, Mexico, Spain), Arabic, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese (Brazil, Portugal), Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- QuickType keyboard support
English (Australia, Canada, India, Singapore, UK, U.S.), Chinese - Simplified (Handwriting, Pinyin, Stroke), Chinese - Traditional (Cangjie, Handwriting, Pinyin, Stroke, Sucheng, Zhuyin), French (Belgium, Canada, France, Switzerland), German (Austria, Germany, Switzerland), Italian, Japanese (Kana, Romaji), Korean, Spanish (Latin America, Mexico, Spain), Arabic (Modern Standard, Najdi), Armenian, Azerbaijani, Belarusian, Bengali, Bulgarian, Catalan, Cherokee, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Emoji, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, Flemish, Georgian, Greek, Gujarati, Hawaiian, Hebrew, Hindi (Devanagari, Transliteration), Hinglish, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Irish, Kannada, Latvian, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Malay, Malayalam, Maori, Marathi, Norwegian, Odia, Persian, Polish, Portuguese (Brazil, Portugal), Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Serbian (Cyrillic, Latin), Slovak, Slovenian, Swahili, Swedish, Tamil (Script, Transliteration), Telugu, Thai, Tibetan, Turkish, Ukrainian, Urdu, Vietnamese, Welsh
- QuickType keyboard support with predictive input
English (Australia, Canada, India, Singapore, UK, U.S.), Chinese (Simplified, Traditional), French (Belgium, Canada, France, Switzerland), German (Austria, Germany, Switzerland), Italian, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Spanish (Latin America, Mexico, Spain), Portuguese (Brazil, Portugal), Thai, Turkish
- Siri languages
English (Australia, Canada, India, Ireland, New Zealand, Singapore, South Africa, UK, U.S.), Spanish (Chile, Mexico, Spain, U.S.), French (Belgium, Canada, France, Switzerland), German (Austria, Germany, Switzerland), Italian (Italy, Switzerland), Japanese, Korean, Mandarin (Mainland China, Taiwan), Cantonese (Mainland China, Hong Kong), Arabic (Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates), Danish (Denmark), Dutch (Belgium, Netherlands), Finnish (Finland), Hebrew (Israel), Malay (Malaysia), Norwegian (Norway), Portuguese (Brazil), Russian (Russia), Swedish (Sweden), Thai (Thailand), Turkish (Turkey)
- Dictation languages
English (Australia, Canada, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Malaysia, New Zealand, Philippines, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Africa, United Arab Emirates, UK, U.S.), Spanish (Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Spain, Uruguay, U.S.), French (Belgium, Canada, France, Luxembourg, Switzerland), German (Austria, Germany, Luxembourg, Switzerland), Italian (Italy, Switzerland), Japanese, Korean, Mandarin (Mainland China, Taiwan), Cantonese (Mainland China, Hong Kong, Macao), Arabic (Kuwait, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates), Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch (Belgium, Netherlands), Finnish, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi (India), Hungarian, Indonesian, Malaysian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese (Brazil, Portugal), Romanian, Russian, Shanghainese (Mainland China), Slovakian, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Definition dictionary support
English, Chinese (Simplified, Traditional), Danish, Dutch, French, German, Hebrew, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish
English (UK, U.S.)
- Bilingual dictionary support with English
Arabic, Chinese (Simplified, Traditional), Dutch, French, German, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish
- Spell check
English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Swedish, Turkish
Audio formats supported: AAC (8 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Store), HE-AAC, MP3 (8 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Dolby Digital (AC-3), Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC-3), Audible (formats 2, 3, 4, Audible Enhanced Audio, AAX, and AAX+), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV
User-conﬁgurable maximum volume limit
TV and Video
AirPlay Mirroring, photos, audio, and video out to Apple TV (2nd generation or later)
Video mirroring and video out support: Up to 1080p through Lightning Digital AV Adapter and Lightning to VGA Adapter (adapters sold separately)
Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 4K, 30 frames per second, High Profile level 4.2 with AAC‑LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio or Dolby Audio up to 1008 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo or multichannel audio, in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG‑4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC‑LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio or Dolby Audio up to 1008 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo or multichannel audio, in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M‑JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format
Mail Attachment Support
- Viewable document types
- .jpg, .tiff, .gif (images); .doc and .docx (Microsoft Word); .htm and .html (web pages); .key (Keynote); .numbers (Numbers); .pages (Pages); .pdf (Preview and Adobe Acrobat); .ppt and .pptx (Microsoft PowerPoint); .txt (text); .rtf (rich text format); .vcf (contact information); .xls and .xlsx (Microsoft Excel); .zip; .ics
Environmental RequirementsOperating ambient temperature: 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)
Nonoperating temperature: –4° to 113° F (–20° to 45° C)
Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
Operating altitude: tested up to 10,000 feet (3000 m)
1. Available space is less and varies due to many factors. A standard configuration uses approximately 10GB to 12GB of space (including iOS and preinstalled apps) depending on the model and settings. Preinstalled apps use about 4GB, and you can delete these apps and restore them.
2. Size and weight vary by conﬁguration and manufacturing process.
3. FaceTime calling requires a FaceTime-enabled device for the caller and recipient and a Wi‑Fi connection. Availability over a cellular network depends on carrier policies; data charges may apply.
4. Data plan required. Gigabit-class LTE and Wi-Fi calling are available in select markets and through select carriers. Speeds are based on theoretical throughput and vary based on site conditions and carrier. For details on LTE support, contact your carrier and see www.apple.com/ipad/LTE.
5. Cellular data plan is sold separately. The model you purchase is conﬁgured to work with a particular cellular network technology. Check with your carrier for compatibility and cellular data plan availability.
6. Not all carriers support Apple SIM and eSIM. See your carrier for details. Not available in China.
7. Siri may not be available in all languages or in all areas, and features may vary by area. Internet access required. Cellular data charges may apply.
8. Testing conducted by Apple in February 2019 using preproduction iPad mini (5th generation) units and software. Testing consisted of full battery discharge while performing each of the following tasks: video playback, audio playback, and Internet browsing using Wi‑Fi or cellular data network. Video content was a repeated 2-hour 23-minute movie purchased from the iTunes Store. Audio content was a playlist of 358 unique audio tracks purchased from the iTunes Store. Internet over Wi‑Fi and cellular data network tests were conducted using dedicated web and mail servers, browsing snapshot versions of 20 popular web pages, and receiving mail once an hour. All settings were default except: Wi‑Fi was associated with a network (except for Internet browsing over cellular data network); the Wi‑Fi feature Ask to Join Networks and Auto-Brightness were turned off; Brightness was set to 50%; and WPA2 encryption was enabled. Battery life depends on device settings, usage, and many other factors. Battery tests are conducted using specific iPad units; actual results may vary.
9. Wireless broadband recommended; fees may apply.
In the box
- iPad mini
- Lightning to USB Cable
- USB Power Adapter