Apple 10.5-inch iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular 256GB
Power isn’t just for the pros.
iPad Air brings more of our most powerful technologies to more people than ever. The A12 Bionic chip with Neural Engine. A 10.5‑inch Retina display with True Tone. Support for Apple Pencil and the Smart Keyboard. And at just one pound and 6.1 mm thin, carrying all that power is effortless.
Everything you need in just a pound.
iPad Air features a large 10.5‑inch Retina display, while remaining extremely portable and perfect for getting things done anywhere. It’s thin and light, and features advanced wireless connectivity. And with up to 10 hours of battery life, iPad Air can go all day on a single charge.1
Stay connected from anywhere.
With Wi‑Fi speeds up to 866 Mbps and Gigabit‑class LTE, iPad Air keeps you connected wirelessly and effortlessly.2 And with eSIM, you can easily access wireless data plans right from your iPad Air all over the world.3
Power to do it all. All at once.
The A12 Bionic chip with Neural Engine enables a whole new level of power and intelligence. It uses real‑time machine learning to transform the way you experience photos, gaming, augmented reality, and more. With all this power, you can edit a video. Create a beautiful presentation. Design a 3D model. Stream your favorite show. Or do all of those things at once.
Blazing‑fast graphics for games and apps.
A 4‑core graphics engine in the A12 Bionic chip delivers amazing performance for incredible augmented reality experiences, photorealistic effects in 3D games, and stunning graphics within apps.
See the beauty in everything you do.
The immersive 10.5‑inch Retina display with wide color lets you see photos, videos, and games in vivid, true‑to‑life detail. And no matter where you take iPad Air, True Tone, high brightness, and an antireflective coating give you the best viewing experience.
True Tone. Easy viewing in any light.
True Tone dynamically adjusts white balance based on the light around you. So images look natural and are easier on your eyes whether you’re reading a book in bed or surfing the web poolside.
Stay in touch. Shoot in HD. Play in AR.
The front and back cameras on iPad Air let you take stunning photos and 1080p HD videos. But you can also do much more. Make a Group FaceTime call. Scan a document, sign it, and send it back. Or create new worlds by using the camera for augmented reality experiences.
Work, learn, and play using AR.
Augmented reality combines digital objects and information with the real world to create entirely new experiences. iPad is the perfect device for truly immersive AR ‑ with front and back cameras, the A12 Bionic chip with Neural Engine, a large, vivid display, and sensors for motion tracking.
Write, draw, sign, or sketch. Whenever inspiration strikes.
Apple Pencil features the precision, responsiveness, and natural fluidity of a traditional writing instrument and the versatility to become so much more.4 With Apple Pencil, you can turn iPad Air into your notepad, canvas, or just about anything else you can imagine.
Take notes and mark up documents, screenshots, and more.
Take notes and jot down ideas as naturally as you do on paper. You can even search your handwritten notes and convert them to text. You can also mark up documents, add drawings to notes, or snap and annotate a screenshot.
Full‑size keyboard. Full‑screen protection.
The Smart Keyboard lets you write a term paper or create a presentation on a full-size keyboard whenever you need one.4 It connects easily without the need for pairing or charging, so it’s always ready to go. And when you’re done, it folds to create a slim, lightweight cover.
Designed to help you get the most out of iPad.
iOS is an advanced mobile operating system that puts everything you need within a tap or a swipe. Simple gestures give you command over the power and large display of iPad Air. Multitask by selecting your favorite apps in the Dock. Drag and drop files between apps. And organize your files however you want with the Files app.
All your files.
All in one place.
With the Files app, you can access and manage what’s on iCloud Drive, on third‑party cloud services such as Box and Dropbox, and on your iPad Air. So no matter where you are, your files are saved in one convenient place.
Make your iPad whatever you want it to be.
iPad Air comes loaded with Apple‑designed apps you’ll use every day, like Photos, Maps, Messages, Apple News, Mail, and Safari. You’ll also get a suite of powerful productivity apps, including Pages, Numbers, and Keynote. And you can get creative right out of the box with GarageBand and iMovie.
Over a million apps designed for iPad on the App Store.
There are apps in the App Store for anything you want to do — photography, drawing, or just getting work done. Apps are designed for the power and large display of iPad and to work perfectly with Apple Pencil. And the App Store is updated daily with recommendations to help you discover new apps.
The best place for all your photos, files, and more.
iCloud keeps things like your photos, files, and notes safe, current, and conveniently available on all your devices.5 And the Files app lets you manage all your files — in iCloud Drive and on your iPad Air — in one central location.
Privacy and Security
Your information belongs to you. Period.
Like every Apple product, iPad Air was designed with your privacy and security in mind. Touch ID makes unlocking your iPad Air simple and secure. And you can make purchases conveniently and safely with Apple Pay. Just place your finger on the Touch ID sensor and you’re good to go.
Designed to empower everyone.
We believe technology is most powerful when everyone can use it. That’s why iPad Air comes with accessibility features that support vision, interaction, hearing, and learning needs. Including VoiceOver, which tells you what’s happening on your screen, and Switch Control, which lets you interact with iPad Air without touching it.
1. Battery life varies by use and configuration.
2. Data plan required. Gigabit‑class LTE is available in select markets and through select carriers. Speeds are based on theoretical throughput and vary based on site conditions and carrier. For details on LTE support, contact your carrier and see www.apple.com/ipad/LTE.
3. Not all carriers support Apple SIM and eSIM. See your carrier for details. Not available in China.
4. iPad Air is compatible with Apple Pencil (1st generation) and Smart Keyboard (10.5‑inch), sold separately.
5. iCloud requires an iCloud‑enabled device. Some features require iOS 12 and macOS Mojave. Some features require a Wi‑Fi connection. Some features are not available in all countries or regions. Access to some services is limited to 10 devices.
Some features may not be available for all countries or all areas. View complete list.
Apps are available on the App Store. Title availability is subject to change.
Size and Weight2
- Width: 6.8 inches(174.1 mm)
- Height: 9.8 inches(250.6 mm)
- Depth: 0.24 inch(6.1 mm)
- Weight: 1.02 pounds (464 grams)
Buttons and Connectors
- Smart Connector
- Built-in stereo speakers
- 3.5 mm headphone jack
- Home/Touch ID sensor
- Smart Connector 3.5 mm
- On/Off, Sleep/Wake
- Lightning connector
- Nano-SIM tray (cellular models)
- Volume up/down
- Dual microphones
- Retina display
- 10.5-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit Multi-Touch display
- 2224-by-1668 resolution at 264 pixels per inch (ppi)
- Wide color display (P3)
- True Tone display
- Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating
- Fully laminated display
- Antireflective coating
- 1.8% reflectivity
- 500 nits brightness
- Supports Apple Pencil
- A12 Bionic chip with 64‑bit architecture
- Neural Engine
- Embedded M12 coprocessor
- 8-megapixel camera
- ƒ/2.4 aperture
- Five-element lens
- Hybrid IR ﬁlter
- Backside illumination
- Live Photos
- Panorama (up to 43 megapixels)
- HDR for photos
- Exposure control
- Burst mode
- Tap to focus
- Timer mode
- Auto image stabilization
- Photo geotagging
- 1080p HD video recording
- Slo‑mo (120 fps)
- Time‑lapse video with stabilization
- Video image stabilization
- 3x video zoom
- Video geotagging
FaceTime HD Camera
- 7-megapixel photos
- ƒ/2.2 aperture
- 1080p HD video recording at 30 fps
- Retina Flash
- Wide color capture for photos and Live Photos
- Auto HDR for photos and videos
- Backside illumination
- Burst mode
- Exposure control
- Timer mode
- FaceTime video
- iPad to any FaceTime-enabled device over Wi-Fi or cellular
- FaceTime audio
- iPad to any FaceTime-enabled device over Wi-Fi or cellular
- Stereo speakers
- Dual microphones for calls, video recording, and audio recording
Cellular and Wireless
- Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n/ac); simultaneous dual band (2.4GHz and 5GHz); HT80 with MIMO
- Bluetooth 5.0 technology
- UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
- Gigabit-class LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 11, 12, 13, 14, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 25, 26, 29, 30, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 46, 66, 71)4
- Data only5
- Wi-Fi calling4
- Nano‑SIM (supports Apple SIM6)
- Digital compass
- iBeacon microlocation
- Assisted GPS and GLONASS
- Touch ID
- Three‐axis gyro
- Ambient light sensor
- Unlock iPad
- Secure personal data within apps
- Make purchases from the iTunes Store, App Store, and Apple Books
- Pay with your iPad using Touch ID within apps and on the web
- Send and receive money in Messages
- Use your voice to send messages, set reminders, and more
- Get proactive suggestions
- Use hands-free
- Listen and identify songs
Power and Battery8
- Built‐in 30.2‐watt‐hour rechargeable lithium‑polymer battery
- Up to 10 hours of surfing the web on Wi‐Fi, watching video, or listening to music
- Charging via power adapter or USB to computer system
- Up to 9 hours of surfing the web using cellular data network
- iOS 12
iOS is the world’s most personal and secure mobile operating system, packed with powerful features that help you get the most out of every day.
Accessibility features help people with disabilities get the most out of their new iPad Air. With built-in support for vision, hearing, physical and motor skills, and learning and literacy, you can create and do amazing things. Learn more
- Siri and Dictation
- Switch Control
- Closed Captions
- Speak Screen
- iTunes Store
- App Store
- Voice Memos
- Photo Booth
- Find My iPhone
- Find My Friends
Free Apps from Apple
Pages, Numbers, Keynote, iMovie, GarageBand, iTunes U, Clips, and Apple Store app are preinstalled on iPad.
- iTunes U
- Apple Store
- Music Memos
- Swift Playgrounds
- Apple ID (required for some features)
- Internet access9
- Syncing with iTunes on a Mac or PC requires:
- Mac: OS X 10.11.6 or later
- PC: Windows 7 or later
- iTunes 12.8 or later on Mac and iTunes 12.9 or later on PC
- Language support
English (Australia, UK, U.S.), Chinese (Simplified, Traditional, Traditional Hong Kong), French (Canada, France), German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Spanish (Latin America, Mexico, Spain), Arabic, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese (Brazil, Portugal), Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- QuickType keyboard support
English (Australia, Canada, India, Singapore, UK, U.S.), Chinese - Simplified (Handwriting, Pinyin, Stroke), Chinese - Traditional (Cangjie, Handwriting, Pinyin, Stroke, Sucheng, Zhuyin), French (Belgium, Canada, France, Switzerland), German (Austria, Germany, Switzerland), Italian, Japanese (Kana, Romaji), Korean, Spanish (Latin America, Mexico, Spain), Arabic (Modern Standard, Najdi), Armenian, Azerbaijani, Belarusian, Bengali, Bulgarian, Catalan, Cherokee, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Emoji, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, Flemish, Georgian, Greek, Gujarati, Hawaiian, Hebrew, Hindi (Devanagari, Transliteration), Hinglish, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Irish, Kannada, Latvian, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Malay, Malayalam, Maori, Marathi, Norwegian, Odia, Persian, Polish, Portuguese (Brazil, Portugal), Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Serbian (Cyrillic, Latin), Slovak, Slovenian, Swahili, Swedish, Tamil (Script, Transliteration), Telugu, Thai, Tibetan, Turkish, Ukrainian, Urdu, Vietnamese, Welsh
- QuickType keyboard support with predictive input
English (Australia, Canada, India, Singapore, UK, U.S.), Chinese (Simplified, Traditional), French (Belgium, Canada, France, Switzerland), German (Austria, Germany, Switzerland), Italian, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Spanish (Latin America, Mexico, Spain), Portuguese (Brazil, Portugal), Thai, Turkish
- Siri languages
English (Australia, Canada, India, Ireland, New Zealand, Singapore, South Africa, UK, U.S.), Spanish (Chile, Mexico, Spain, U.S.), French (Belgium, Canada, France, Switzerland), German (Austria, Germany, Switzerland), Italian (Italy, Switzerland), Japanese, Korean, Mandarin (Mainland China, Taiwan), Cantonese (Mainland China, Hong Kong), Arabic (Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates), Danish (Denmark), Dutch (Belgium, Netherlands), Finnish (Finland), Hebrew (Israel), Malay (Malaysia), Norwegian (Norway), Portuguese (Brazil), Russian (Russia), Swedish (Sweden), Thai (Thailand), Turkish (Turkey)
- Dictation languages
English (Australia, Canada, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Malaysia, New Zealand, Philippines, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Africa, United Arab Emirates, UK, U.S.), Spanish (Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Spain, Uruguay, U.S.), French (Belgium, Canada, France, Luxembourg, Switzerland), German (Austria, Germany, Luxembourg, Switzerland), Italian (Italy, Switzerland), Japanese, Korean, Mandarin (Mainland China, Taiwan), Cantonese (Mainland China, Hong Kong, Macao), Arabic (Kuwait, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates), Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch (Belgium, Netherlands), Finnish, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi (India), Hungarian, Indonesian, Malaysian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese (Brazil, Portugal), Romanian, Russian, Shanghainese (Mainland China), Slovakian, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Definition dictionary support
English, Chinese (Simplified, Traditional), Danish, Dutch, French, German, Hebrew, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish
English (UK, U.S.)
- Bilingual dictionary support with English
Arabic, Chinese (Simplified, Traditional), Dutch, French, German, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish
- Spell check
English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Swedish, Turkish
Audio formats supported: AAC (8 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Store), HE-AAC, MP3 (8 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Dolby Digital (AC-3), Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC-3), Audible (formats 2, 3, 4, Audible Enhanced Audio, AAX, and AAX+), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV
User-conﬁgurable maximum volume limit
TV and Video
AirPlay Mirroring, photos, audio, and video out to Apple TV (2nd generation or later)
Video mirroring and video out support: Up to 1080p through Lightning Digital AV Adapter and Lightning to VGA Adapter (adapters sold separately)
Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 4K, 30 frames per second, High Profile level 4.2 with AAC‑LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio or Dolby Audio up to 1008 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo or multichannel audio, in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG‑4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC‑LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio or Dolby Audio up to 1008 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo or multichannel audio, in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M‑JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format
Mail Attachment Support
- Viewable document types
.jpg, .tiff, .gif (images); .doc and .docx (Microsoft Word); .htm and .html (web pages); .key (Keynote); .numbers (Numbers); .pages (Pages); .pdf (Preview and Adobe Acrobat); .ppt and .pptx (Microsoft PowerPoint); .txt (text); .rtf (rich text format); .vcf (contact information); .xls and .xlsx (Microsoft Excel); .zip; .ics
- Operating ambient temperature: 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)
- Nonoperating temperature: –4° to 113° F (–20° to 45° C)
- Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
- Operating altitude: tested up to 10,000 feet (3000 m)
1. Available space is less and varies due to many factors. A standard configuration uses approximately 10GB to 12GB of space (including iOS and preinstalled apps) depending on the model and settings. Preinstalled apps use about 4GB, and you can delete these apps and restore them.
2. Size and weight vary by conﬁguration and manufacturing process.
3. FaceTime calling requires a FaceTime-enabled device for the caller and recipient and a Wi-Fi connection. Availability over a cellular network depends on carrier policies; data charges may apply.
4. Data plan required. Gigabit-class LTE and Wi-Fi calling are available in select markets and through select carriers. Speeds are based on theoretical throughput and vary based on site conditions and carrier. For details on LTE support, contact your carrier and see www.apple.com/ipad/LTE.
5. Cellular data plan is sold separately. The model you purchase is conﬁgured to work with a particular cellular network technology. Check with your carrier for compatibility and cellular data plan availability.
6. Not all carriers support Apple SIM and eSIM. See your carrier for details. Not available in China.
7. Siri may not be available in all languages or in all areas, and features may vary by area. Internet access required. Cellular data charges may apply.
8. Testing conducted by Apple in February 2019 using preproduction iPad Air (3rd generation) units and software. Testing consisted of full battery discharge while performing each of the following tasks: video playback, audio playback, and Internet browsing using Wi‑Fi or cellular data network. Video content was a repeated 2-hour 23-minute movie purchased from the iTunes Store. Audio content was a playlist of 358 unique audio tracks purchased from the iTunes Store. Internet over Wi‑Fi and cellular data network tests were conducted using dedicated web and mail servers, browsing snapshot versions of 20 popular web pages, and receiving mail once an hour. All settings were default except: Wi‑Fi was associated with a network (except for Internet browsing over cellular data network); the Wi‑Fi feature Ask to Join Networks and Auto-Brightness were turned off; Brightness was set to 50%; and WPA2 encryption was enabled. Battery life depends on device settings, usage, and many other factors. Battery tests are conducted using specific iPad units; actual results may vary.
9. Wireless broadband recommended; fees may apply.
In the box
- iPad Air
- Lightning to USB Cable
- USB Power Adapter